Describe an advice you received on your subjects or work
1. I don’t consider myself experienced enough to make the important decisions of my life on my own.
2. Normally I seek the guidance of my parents because I strongly believe that parents are the best judge for us.
3. They have all the experience in the world and know us inside out to make the best decision for us.
4. But there was a matter on which I had to look outside my family for help.
5. After completing my secondary education I was in a dilemma regarding my future choice of stream for higher education as I was presented with two major options of medical and non-medical.
6. In this regard my parents could not help me much because to make this decision I needed someone who kept abreast of latest developments in the field of education as well as career opportunities available after completion of higher study.
7. Fortunately I had someone with experience and credentials to guide me on this.
8. One of my uncle’s daughter recently graduated from a reputed college in Canada and immediately after completing her education got a job offer from a leading IT company.
9. When I approached her with my problem, she immediately asked me about my interests and my long term goal.
10. I told her about my predilection for technology and accordingly she adviced me to opt for non-medical stream for my higher study.
11. It was fine as far as my interest was concerned but then I inquired about career choices that I would I have if I chose non-medical.
12. To be honest I was a bit sceptical about non-medical because I know few of my seniors who did engineering and were hard pressed to find suitable employment opportunities for themselves.
13. I shared my apprehension with her and she acknowledged the fact that things have changed a lot in recent years.
14. But she reassured me that if I choose the relevant field and performed well then there is no dearth of opportunities.
15. I could not refute her argument as she was the living proof of it.
16. She then apprised me of the couple of fields of technology which are growing in demand such as nanotechnology and biotechnology.
17. So on her suggestion I chose non-medical and so far things are on track for me.
18. I constantly keep in touch with her and seek advice on the skills that I need to acquire to give myself an edge over other students.