Cambridge IELTS 14 Listening Test 4 with Answers
Cambridge IELTS 14 Listening Test 4 – Section 1
Section 1: Questions 1 – 7
Complete the notes below. Write ONE WORD AND/ OR A NUMBER for each answer.
Enquiry about booking hotel room for event
Example: Andrew is the Events Manager
– number of people who can sit down to eat: (1)
– has a gallery suitable for musicians
– can go out and see the (2) in pots on the terrace
– terrace has a view of a group of (3)
– number of people who can sit down to eat: 110
– has a (4)
– view of the lake
Master of Ceremonies:
– can give a (5) while people are eating
– will provide (6) if there are any problems
Accommodation: in hotel rooms or (7)
Questions 8 – 10
What is said about using each of the following hotel facilities?
Choose THREE answers from the box and write the correct letter, A, B or C, next to Questions 8-10.
A included in cost of hiring room
B available at extra charge
C not available
8. outdoor swimming pool
10. tennis courts
Cambridge IELTS 14 Listening Test 4 – Section 2
Section 2: Questions 11-16
What information does the speaker give about each of the following excursions?
Choose SIX answers from the box and write the correct letter, A-H, next to Questions 11-16.
A all downhill
B suitable for beginners
C only in good weather
D food included
E no charge
F swimming possible
G fully booked today
H transport not included
11. dolphin watching
12. forest walk
13. cycle trip
14. local craft tour
15. observatory trip
16. horse riding
Questions 17 and 18
Choose TWO letters A-E.
Which TWO things does the speaker say about the attraction called Musical Favourites?
A You pay extra for drinks.
B You must book it in advance.
C You get a reduction if you buy two tickets.
D You can meet the performers.
E You can take part in the show.
Questions 19 and 20
Choose TWO letters, A-E.
Which TWO things does the speaker say about the Castle Feast?
A Visitors can dance after the meal.
B There is a choice of food.
C Visitors wear historical costume.
D Knives and forks are not used.
E The entertainment includes horse races.
Cambridge IELTS 14 Listening Test 4 – Section 3
Section 3: Questions 21 – 25
Choose the correct letter A, B or C.
21 What does Trevor find interesting about the purpose of children’s literature?
A the fact that authors may not realise what values they’re teaching
B the fact that literature can be entertaining and educational at the same time
C the fact that adults expect children to imitate characters in literature
22 Trevor says the module about the purpose of children’s literature made him
A analyse some of the stories that his niece reads.
B wonder how far popularity reflects good quality.
C decide to start writing some children’s stories.
23 Stephanie is interested in the Pictures module because
A she intends to become an illustrator.
B she can remember beautiful illustrations from her childhood.
C she believes illustrations are more important than words.
24 Trevor and Stephanie agree that comics
A are inferior to books.
B have the potential for being useful.
C discourage children from using their imagination.
25 With regard to books aimed at only boys or only girls, Trevor was surprised
A how long the distinction had gone unquestioned.
B how few books were aimed at both girls and boys.
C how many children enjoyed books intended for the opposite sex.
Questions 26 – 30
What comment is made about each of these stories?
Choose FIVE answers from the box and write the correct letter, A-G, next to Questions 26-30.
A translated into many other languages
B hard to read
C inspired a work in a different area of art
D more popular than the author’s other works
E original title refers to another book
F started a new genre
G unlikely topic
26. Perrault’s fairy tales
27. The Swiss Family Robinson
28. The Nutcracker and The Mouse King
29. The Lord of the Rings
30. War Horse
Cambridge IELTS 14 Listening Test 4 – Section 4
Section 4: Questions 31 – 40
Complete the notes below. Write ONE WORD ONLY for each answer.
The hunt for sunken settlements and ancient shipwrecks
• was a village on coast of eastern Mediterranean
• thrived until about 7,000 BC
• stone homes had a courtyard
• had a semicircle of large stones round a (31)
• cause of destruction unknown – now under the sea
• biggest settlement from the prehistoric period found on the seabed
• research carried out into structures, (32) and human remains
TRADITIONAL AUTONOMOUS UNDERWATER VEHICLES (AUVs)
• used in the oil industry, e.g. to make (33)
• problems: they were expensive and (34)
• much easier to use, relatively cheap, sophisticated
• Marzamemi, Sicily: found ancient Roman ships carrying architectural elements made of
• (36) is used for short distance communication, acoustic waves for long distance
• plans for communication with researchers by satellite
• AUV can send data to another AUV that has better (37) , for example
Planned research in Gulf of Baratti:
• to find out more about wrecks of ancient Roman ships, including
– one carrying (38) supplies; tablets may have been used for cleaning the (39)
– others carrying containers of olive oil or (40)
Cambridge IELTS 14 Listening Test 4 – Answers
Check out how Grammarly can help you in IELTS writing.
Also Check: 1000+ Most Common Words for IELTS