Cambridge IELTS 13 Listening Test 1
Cambridge 13 Listening Test 1 – Section 1
Section 1: Questions 1-10
Complete the form below. Write ONE WORD OR A NUMBER.
Cambridge IELTS 13 Listening Test 1 – Section 2
Questions 11 – 13
Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.
Traffic Changes in Granford
11 Why are changes needed to traffic systems in Granford?
A The number of traffic accidents has risen.
B The amount of traffic on the roads has increased.
C The types of vehicles on the roads have changed.
12 In a survey, local residents particularly complained about
A dangerous driving by parents.
B pollution from trucks and lorries.
C inconvenience from parked cars.
13 According to the speaker, one problem with the new regulations will be
A raising money to pay for them.
B finding a way to make people follow them.
C getting the support of the police.
Label the map below.
Proposed traffic changes in Granford
Write the correct letter, A-I, next to Questions 14-20
14. New traffic lights __________________
15. Pedestrian crossing __________________
16. Parking allowed __________________
17. New ‘no parking’ sign __________________
18. New disabled parking spaces __________________
19. Widened pavement __________________
20. Lorry loading/ unloading restrictions __________________
Cambridge 13 Listening Test 1 – Section 3
Choose the correct letter A, B or C.
21 Why is Jack interested in investigating seed germination?
A He may do a module on a related topic later on.
B He wants to have a career in plant science.
C He is thinking of choosing this topic for his dissertation.
22 Jack and Emma agree the main advantage of their present experiment is that it can be
A described very easily.
B carried out inside the laboratory.
C completed in the time available.
23 What do they decide to check with their tutor?
A whether their aim is appropriate
B whether anyone else has chosen this topic
C whether the assignment contributes to their final grade
24 They agree that Graves’ book on seed germination is disappointing because
A it fails to cover recent advances in seed science.
B the content is irrelevant for them.
C its focus is very theoretical.
25 What does Jack say about the article on seed germination by Lee Hall?
A The diagrams of plant development are useful.
B The analysis of seed germination statistics is thorough.
C The findings on seed germination after fires are surprising.
Complete the flow-chart below.
Choose FIVE answers from the box and write the correct letter, A-H, next to Questions 26-30
A container B soil C weight D condition
E height F colour G types H depths
Stage in the experiment
Select seeds of different 26…………… and sizes.
Measure and record the 27……………. and size of each one.
Decide on the 28……………… to be used.
Use a different 29…………….. for each seed and label it.
After about 3 weeks, record the plant’s 30……………… .
Investigate the findings.
Cambridge 13 Listening Test 1 – Section 4
Section 4: Questions 31-40.
Complete the notes below. Write ONE WORD ONLY for each answer.
Effects of urban environment on animals
Recent urban developments represent massive environmental changes. It was previously thought that only a few animals were suitable for city life e.g.
• The (31) _____________ Because of its general adaptability
• The pigeon – because walls of city buildings are similar to (32) _____________
In fact, many urban animals are adapting with unusual (33) _____________
• Emilie Snell-Rood studied urbanized mammal specimens from museums in Minnesota
– She found the size of their (34) _____________ had increased
– She suggests this may be due to the need to locate new sources of
(35) _____________ and to deal with new dangers
• Catarina Miranda focused on the (36) _____________ of urban and rural blackbirds.
– She found urban birds were often braver but were afraid of situations that were
• Jonathan Atwell studies how animals respond to urban environments
– He found that some animals respond to (38) _____________ by producing lower levels of hormones.
• Sarah Partan’s team found urban squirrels use their (39) _____________ to help them communicate
Long- term possibilities
Species of animals may develop which are unique to cities. However, some changes may not be (40) _____________
Cambridge IELTS 13 Listening Test 1 Answers
Practice with Expert IELTS Tutors Online
Apply Code "IELTSXPRESS20" To Get 20% off on IELTS Mock Test
Also Check: 10 Top Confusing IELTS Grammar Phrases for IELTS Aspirants
Practice: Practice Cambridge IELTS 15 Listening Test 4 with Answers
1 thought on “Practice Cambridge IELTS 13 Listening Test 1”